Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Anchoring Steps


Anchoring Steps –

First, Check your charts, local knowledge, etc. to select where you want to anchor.  Generally, I like to anchor in about 21 feet of water (3.5 fathoms).  Determine how much scope you want to let out on the anchor line….  Four to one for nice weather; seven to one for moderate weather; and at least ten to one for stormy weather.

Second, Observe your selected anchorage as you approach for other boats and their anchors, and other hazards.

Third, Once over your selected anchorage spot, release the anchor.  When you feel the anchor touch the bottom, begin backing the boat up and simultaneously pay out the anchor line until the required scope is out.  Cleat the anchor line and continue backing down till the anchor sets (digs in).  If the wind and waves allow, I like to back toward the shore so that I can be sure the required scope still lets the boat float in enough water.

Finally, When the anchor sets, shift the transmission into neutral and/or stop the engine.



One of the things I like to do if I’m alone or with an inexperienced crew is to lay out all of the required anchor rope in long parallel loops on deck before getting to the anchor spot (called “faking” the line on deck).  If I need 80 feet of anchor rope for Snickerdoodle, I’ll fake the anchor rope down the starboard side for 20 feet (about to my primary winches… and then fake an another “loop” of rope down the port side to the cockpit.  I cleat off the anchor rope to a bow cleat at the 80-foot mark.  Then, I’ll take a couple turns on the starboard primary winch and wrap the loop around the cleat with the loop of rope at the 20-foot mark.  I can then let the anchor chain pay out over the bow roller and bring the anchor back to the cockpit (having the anchor rope on the winch and cleat keeps the chain from pulling the rope off the deck prematurely).  I like to have the rope to chain shackle just down from the bow roller so that there is only rope on the roller and the anchor chain bows in the water below the boat.  When I’m just about to the chosen anchor spot, I throw the anchor out to the side of the boat and cast off the anchor rope from the cleat and winch.  The anchor sinks and the anchor rope begins paying over the roller as I continue to motor slowly toward shore.  When all of the anchor rope has gone over the roller, the bow cleat brings the rope taught and the anchor digs in and sets… this pulls the boat around 180 degrees and you are at anchor.

No comments:

Post a Comment