Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Locking Your Hatchboards In Place

One of the scariest situations that I've experienced is to be hit with a big gust of wind that heels Snickerdoodle over so far that not only were the side decks awash, water was actually pouring over the coaming into the cockpit.  Luckily, Snickerdoodle rounded up - righted - and I was able to tuck in a reef and change down to a smaller headsail.  But, this adventure got me thinking about what would have happened if water had actually spilled off of the cockpit seat and into the wide open companionway.  Would I have been able to round up in time to keep from swamping and potentially sinking the boat?



To ease my mind, I installed barrel bolt locks on the inside of the lower two hatchboards and drilled quarter inch holes in the companionway trim to accept the bolt.  I can now lock the lower two hatchboards in place whenever it appears that the wind will be strong.  Of course, I have now adopted the policy of reefing sooner and shifting to a smaller jib more quickly than before.

Remember, water coming over the coaming is frightening and uncomfortable.  Flat is fast.

barnaclebillholcomb@gmail.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment