Monday, November 13, 2017

Tiller/Auto Pilots



Tiller Pilots

Just for starters, I love my tiller pilot (sometimes called an autopilot, auto-pilot, or just plane “Otto).  Otto is one of the best after-factory items that we have bought for Snickerdoodle after she went in the water in 1985.  

Otto is electric, and will steer an accurate compass course without complaint hour-after-hour.  Otto changes direction on demand.  And, is relatively quiet and doesn’t take up much space (either in operation or if stowed in the big port-side cockpit locker.  Especially, if I am single-handing Snickerdoodle on very light days where motoring is quicker than trying to sail; or if I have decided to troll for some fish for dinner; Otto is the best!


However, Otto does have a couple of drawbacks that are not mentioned in the advertising literature.  First of all: when I bought Otto, I purchased the next size up from the recommended size.  I thought that the next size up would have plenty of power for all conditions… WRONG!!!  If there are many waves – even small one-foot waves – the boat moves around enough so that Otto is always trying to correct course.  This condition of continually trying to re-set the course is even more pronounced when I try to sail and have Otto steer. 
Sailing with Otto is fraught with frustration as Otto tries to compensate for Snickerdoodle yawing due to waves and/or wind changes.  Otto just cannot get it right for any length of time.






So, if you are thinking about buying a tiller pilot or wheel steering machine, think hard about what you want the device to do and what conditions you want this done in.  Unless you are buying vane steering gear of some sort, you may be disappointed with your brand new auto-pilot.


2 comments:

  1. Kelly thinks I am the auto pilot!! cheaper!! :) Good article and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am guessing that you are certainly NOT cheaper in the long run. Ha, ha..

    ReplyDelete