Friday, April 27, 2018

Inspect Your Topping Lift

How do you keep your boom's aft end from dropping into the cockpit when you are hoisting or lowering your mainsail?  How about when you are reefing or shaking out a reef.  I hope you have some sort of topping lift rigged.  You know, a line from the top of the mast to the end of the boom???


 The boom topping lift might be made of 1/8" wire rope and have a block and tackle to adjust the boom's height.  Or, the topping lift might be a 1/4" or 5/16" line that is secured to the top of the mast and then led through a block at the end of the boom and then to a cleat for adjusting the boom's height.  These two ways sure work and there are a lot of sailboats out there with just this sort of set-up.
The problem with these two set-ups is that if the boom is swung out (as in reaching or running) the adjustment possibility becomes dangerous due to someone having to lean far out of the cockpit to reach the boom end.  If that person looses his/her balance, they will probably end up a crew-overboard victim.
A better set-up is to secure the topping lift to the end of the boom and run it up to a cheek block near the top of the mast; then back down the mast to a swivel block that is located near the mast base. (Of course, you could also lead the topping lift through a turning block and organizer back to a cleat at the aft edge of the cabin.)  This set-up allows for adjustment of boom height without leaning out from the cockpit.  The topping lift is always handy to someone safely in the cockpit.
A few days ago, I went sailing.  It was a beautiful sunny day with nice breezes.  When I was about to hoist the mainsail, I engaged the topping lift to hold the boom up while I hoisted the sail.  I noticed that the topping lift did not adjust easily.  It was almost like there was something keeping the line from passing through a block smoothly.  I immediately started to check the topping lift.  Everything was okay at the swivel block located near the mast base.  But, looking aloft, I could see that the outer braid was severely chafed for about a foot or so - - and just below the cheek block at the mast head.  The topping lift line simply would not easily pass through the block.
Fortunately, I had not begun setting the mainsail.  So, I found a long length of 4mm parachute cord and (using my needle and waxed line) I sewed the parachute cord to the end of the topping lift that normally was secured to the boom's end.  I gently pulled the topping lift line through the pulleys and back into the cockpit.  When the parachute line was completely in place of the topping lift, I tied it off... And, inspected the topping lift.  And yes, I found that the topping lift outer braid was completely chafed away for about a foot.  And that chafe was just below where the cheek block at the mast head would be located.  Only the core strands were left.  The old line was not strong enough anymore. 

I purchased enough 5/16" three-strand line the next day and the day after that returned to the boat.  I again used my needle and waxed line to sew the parachute cord to my new three-strand line and pulled the parachute cord gently until the three-strand was in place for a new topping lift.
Finally, I spliced a loop in the end of the three-strand and secured a small snap hook to the loop.  Finally snapping the hook to the shackle on the boom end fitting.  Everything works great now... no muss, no fuss.
If you don't have a topping lift, you might seriously think of installing one.
If you have a topping lift, it might be time for a close inspection......  also inspect halyards, sheets, mooring lines, etc.

Barnacle Bill Holcomb
BarnacleBillHolcomb@gmail.com
509 993 3214



 


 

3 comments: