Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Galley Table

In the mid-1980's I read Bruce Bingham's book, "The Sailor's Sketchbook."  This book is chuck full of great ideas to make use-full modifications for your boat.  One idea that seemed really good was to add a drop-down table on the bulkhead forward of the stove.  This would give added counter space is a small boat.

Well, it's taken since the till this spring to actually put that idea into action.
I bought a two-foot long piece of one-inch thick, ten-inch wide mahogany.  I wanted to have the drop-down table have about a 12-inch length with fiddles to keep stuff from rolling off.
I cut the mahogany board in half and then cut one of the halves into a support with a little bit of an "oh-gee".  Four small brass hinges later and the fabrication was done.
I finished the project first by painting everything with orange shallac and the three coats of clear Min-Wax varnish.
Of course, the actual mounting of the table took longer than it should have.  But the finished product looks nice and does exactly what I've wanted.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea and beautifully executed. Curious if you've done anything clever with the dining room table. My Catalina 25 has a heavy and cumbersome table that I'd love to reinvent.

    ReplyDelete