Thursday, September 24, 2020

Old Dock Lines

 

If you have not inspected your dock lines for chafe recently, now is the time.

We have experienced several storms this year that blew in to Bayview and MacDonald’s Hudson Bay Resort with great strength.  As a result, I checked my dock lines a couple weeks ago and found that my dock lines were chaffing badly where they were tied to the rings on the dock.  It was time to replace them before the next big storm hit.  I ordered 200 feet of ½ inch bulk three strand dock line.  And, I made the switch to the new rope on last Sunday.

I replaced all of the dock lines (two forward and two aft); plus I added four new spring lines (one forward line on both sides of the boat – 2 lines and one aft on both sides – 2 additional lines).

The bow and stern lines are secured to the dock rings by using an anchor knot.  The spring lines are all secured to the dock by tying a loop around a big dock beam under the dock’s decking.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment